Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Shepherds Pie


I'm hoping to soon try many different variations. It just depends on what is in the house at the time. Here's my first one. I have had to borrow the pix till I get one of my own:) Here's a link to many shepherd's pie variations.

Ingredients:
1 pound ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
3 carrots, peeled and sliced
2 1/4 cup instant mashed potatoes
1/4 block of cream cheese cubed
2 tablespoons beef soup base - adjust amount to your liking
4 tablespoons water
salt
pepper
milk
water
flour

Directions:
1. Brown ground beef and onions. Make sure to season well with pepper.
2. While meat is browning, place carrots and a bit of water in a bowl and microwave for 4-5 minutes till desired tenderness.
3. Drain meat if needed and add in 2 cups water, and soup base. Bring to a simmer and then thicken with a medium thick water and flour mixture. Add in cooked, drained carrots and keep warm.
4. Boil 1 1/4 cups water and 4 tablespoons butter. Take off heat.
5. Add in potatoes, cream cheese and enough milk till you get your desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Pour meat mixture into greased casserole dish.
7. Spread potatoes on top.
8. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes.

Like I mentioned above, there are so many variations. I would have liked to have used fresh mashed potatoes but time did not permit tonight. Look for more variations to come. Next time I hope to have frozen peas I can add in.

No comments: