Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Homemade Pizza





Matthew loves my homemade pizza which is great because it’s not only healthier than most others you can purchase, but it’s cheaper as well. Everyone in our house now knows that Friday is pizza night and they all look forward to it.


My pizza dough recipe makes 2 - 14 inch round pizza’s. We only use one and freeze the other for the next week. I take the frozen dough out and let thaw in the fridge for two days. The day I’m ready to use it, I let lay out on the counter covered till it warms to room temp, then roll out. The sauce recipe I use makes enough for at least 4 pizzas. I put the rest in baggies and place in the freezer for future use. These can easily be thawed on the stove-top or in the microwave.

Enjoy!


Bread Machine Wheat Pizza Dough
1 1/3 cups water
2 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups unbleached flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons yeast
1 tablespoon honey


Place ingredients in bread machine according to your machine’s instructions. Start dough cycle which will take anywhere from 1-2 1/2 hours for most machines.


When dough cycle is complete, divide into two equal portions and roll out to fit your pan. You will need to lightly flour your surface to roll out.


Place on baking stone or a lightly greased pizza pan and drizzle lightly with olive oil. Top with sauce and your favorite toppings.


Bake at 450 degrees for about 10-12 minutes.



Pizza Sauce
1(15 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons italian seasoning
2-3 cloves garlic,minced
salt & pepper


The recipe I got this from said to cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes or so. I’ve never done this. I just mix it up and place directly on the pizza dough. This can be frozen and keeps very well.

No comments: